Monday, October 17, 2011

Make your own Jack-o-Lanterns

I know I haven't blogged in awhile, so here is the first of two for tonight. With Halloween approaching, I did one of my all-time favorite projects with the kids...make your own Jack-o-lanterns. As you can tell from the pictures, they are all different, but fits each student's personality to a tee!

I give each child a piece of orange construction paper and a half sheet of black construction paper. I tell them to draw a circle for their pumpkin on the orange paper, and a nose and mouth on the black paper. I usually draw examples of different noses and mouths on the board to give them some ideas.

I also let them choose the size of googly eyes they want. I have everything ranging from extra small to extra large. My favorite jack-o-lanterns are always the ones with two different sized eyes!

After students have cut out their pumpkin, nose, and mouth, I give them another black piece of construction paper to glue it on to.

This year, I decided to have them put on a stem and a leaf. I gave them a small sheet of brown paper for the stem, and drew different types on the board as examples of what they could draw. I also gave them a folded piece of green paper and told them to draw a semi-circle on the crease (this makes the leaf).

I loved how these turned out and am anxious to do the same thing with snowmen for Christmas! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment